ARRRGHHH ANOTHER YEAR! HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! SO EXCITING. Lots of things about to happen, or keep happening. Possible tour in another country, possibly a book! Made of Paper! Published by strangers!
Also, I promise to update this blog more as things keep happening.
As you may know, in addition to performing poetry I have gotten into true-life storytelling and stand up comedy. Somehow I have also found myself hosting Story Slam Singapore and Muddy’s Monday Laugh-In, a weekly open mic night, and the newest comedy open mic night in Singapore. Funny how that happens.
HIGHLIGHTS OF 2015:
- Sekalicats at the Company of Cats Cafe — the first ever cat-themed poetry show by the Sekaliwags
2. Sound of Sand Festival, Parangtritis Beach, Indonesia
went to Yogyakarta for the first time to perform at this sweet hippyish/DIY festival in the sand dunes of Parangtritis, performed on one of the most beautiful stages I’ve ever been on. See more here.
3. ContraDiction 2015
Worked with some of the coolest people on Contradiction, the closing night of Indignation 2015, a reading of a collection of Singapore literature by/about queer people from the last few hundred years.
[L-R: Shaan Sippy, me, Mitchell Fang, Jerrold Yam, Deonn Yang, Atiq Lukman, Muslim Sahib, Raksha Mahtani, Zarina Muhammed, Joena Shivani Thomas Nathan]
4. XPOWERDREAMS at the Singapore Writers Festival
The Sekaliwags and our trusty time machine HAMFUL returned for a new adventure at the Singapore Writers Festival 2015. Keyboards, cardboard tiny homes, sex kampungs, patriot gameshows, guns, time travel and crazy fireballs!
5. KL Mini-Tour
Went on a poetry adventure to KL with SPEAK crew (Deborah Emmanuel, Vanessa Victoria, plus Charlene Shepherdson and Illi Syaznie, on the kind invitation of Melizarani T. Selva . Performed at KL’s premiere poetry open mic night, If Walls Could Talk, taught a workshop and performed at the Art for Grabs Festival at Republika Mall.
[L-R: owner of the Gaslight Cafe, Deborah Emmanuel, me, Charlene Shepherdson, Melizarani T. Selva, Vanessa Victoria]
6. Nature Poetry Workshop at Ground-Up Initiative
Had the massive privilege of teaching my first nature poetry workshop at an event called Mega Balik Kampung at this amazing urban farm called Ground Up Initiative. Because urban farms are fucking cool. And nature is awesome. Hoping for more of this in 2016. If anyone wants to do more walking around and really looking at leaves and writing about them let me know.
(photo courtesy of Muzakkir bin Samat)
7. Trade Secrets at Singapore Inside Out
Performed at Singapore Inside Out, a crazy structure that had reached Singapore after travelling the world and showcasing Singaporean artists in Beijing, London, & New York. Performed a show called Trade Secrets with poet Marc Nair and musician Tim DeCotta.
(photo courtesy of Pamela Ng)
- Getting queer spoken heroine Alok Vaid-Menon of Darkmatter to Singapore and their unforgettable set at SPEAK
- The Stand Up Scene
- Solo show at the We Can! Arts Festival
- Hosting and putting together phenomenal SPEAK shows with local and international poetry heroes/heroines
- Story Slam Singapore at SWF
- Squat & Grow & painting my poem on a wall of the former Post-Museum
- Chilling with Australian poet Luka Lesson after a set at the Market of Experiences, along with Deborah Emmanuel and Shivram Gopinath (below)